Website editorial Board Casino.ru launches a series of publications about professions in gambling. We dare to hope that interviews with representatives of the sphere will allow players to better understand how the gambling industry works. After all, employees of land-based and online casinos can tell a lot of interesting things about their internal cuisine. Their stories will make you take a fresh look at casinos and gambling.
The hero of the first publication was an online casino service specialist, which is quite symbolic. Technical support employees are the first to whom new customers and regular players turn in case of questions about games, bonuses, replenishment of the account, receiving winnings, etc. The reputation of the site largely depends on their professionalism.
Evgeny N. has been an employee of the technical support service of a well-known online casino for 5 years, and now he is engaged in the development and promotion of partner programs in gambling. He agreed to a frank interview on condition that he did not mention his real name and the name of the casino where he worked.
— How did you get into the gambling industry and what prompted you to make this choice?
“Quite by accident. After graduating from the university with a degree in Information Security, he started looking for a job. In many companies, young specialists are paid little, the salary is only enough to rent an apartment, there is not much left for themselves. Therefore, when I saw a vacancy for the position of a technical support specialist with a salary 4 times higher than the market average, I was veryinterested. I sent my resume and continued my search. A week later, I was invited to an interview, at which they told me head-on that this was an online casino. For the job, it was enough to know Russian, basic English and an understanding of HTML. According to all the criteria, I came up, started studying and working.
– What are the main responsibilities of a technical support employee?
– Answer questions from regular customers and help new customers understand the functionality of the site, the bonus program and the rules of the casino. Beginners often specify how to make a deposit correctly, specify a promo code, etc. Support on the line (an employee on the phone or in an online chat-Ed.) is a person to whom you can complain about a major loss. Sometimes-to cover with a real Russian mat (laughs-Ed.). I personally tried not to write template phrases to the losing players, but tried to calm them down and offer a bonus.
We also regularly tested all the elements of the site — the display of games from providers, the operation of payment systems, the availability of casino mirrors. After any update of the site, all the functionality was checked, since the update may affect previously working components. In case of an emergency situation, the information was transmitted to the system administrator on duty.
— What problems and questions are most often addressed by customers?
— The two most frequent questions are: where is my payment and why the deposit was not credited. In the first case, the player simply did not wait for the payment to be processed or did not see the letter about the request for documents for verification. We had up to 24 hours for payments, but usually payments were made within 2-3 hours.
In the second case, the problem occurred due to the creation of a second account by mistake. We have implemented a quick registration using social networks. The client could log in via VK, make a deposit and go to drink tea. After a while, the system automatically logs it out, the person enters through Mail and does not see the money. In the admin panel, we had an algorithm that determined multiaccounts by IP. We blocked an empty account for such players and left an account with money.
– How did you build communication with the players? What rules and regulations exist in this regard and how is the control carried out?
– In dialogues with the client, it is strictly forbidden to be rude, use a mate, leave messages without an answer. Even if the line is loaded and the client has left the site, we must answer his question.
All information about the client is collected in the player’s card, available to technical support specialists. All changes in it are automatically recorded by the program: who made the changes, which ones. This applies to bonuses, personal data, etc.
— Does the technical support specialist have access to the player’s balance?
– Supports cannot change the balance, this is prohibited. We have disabled this feature. Only the project manager and the higher management could do this through the ticket.
— How can a player properly build a dialogue with technical support in order to quickly get complete answers to their questions?
— It is correct to start any dialogue with a normal greeting and briefly formulate a question. Support tries to respond to everyone as quickly as possible if the line is not loaded. If the message shows aggression, it contains obscene expressions, the employee can postpone communication, switch to parallel lines. So, of course, it is forbidden to do support, but there were cases.
The tools of a technical support employee
— And how did they cope with the negative?
— I have a stable psyche, I left all the negativity in the workplace.
— And how did you rest?
— I didn’t have much rest. If I was bored, I started learning something new. If it was completely covered, after the shift I went to the pub.
– In general, is this a difficult job?
– It is not difficult, especially after 3-4 months of practice. In the first months, I read a lot of examples of real dialogues between colleagues and clients to understand how to better build a conversation, taught scripts for quick answers, manuals for all admins. At first, it was not easy to conduct dialogues with three or more players at the same time — you need to react quickly, keep a lot of information in your head. But over time, the whole process, we can say, went on autopilot. Not taking into account, of course, freelance situations.
— What situations are best remembered?
— Over time, all unusual situations become common, it is difficult to remember now. I can tell you about a big win on my shift and a big loss.
During the night shift, a player writes to me with the question: “What are the payment limits?”. I check his account and see the balance of 8 million rubles! He won this amount during the night in the Garage slot from Igrosoft at the maximum bets. The entire technical support service was humanly worried that the player would not drain all the money back to the casino, but withdraw it. And so it happened: the client had previously passed verification and the entire amount was paid to him in parts, taking into account the limits.
And the biggest loss in my memory was in the amount of 10 million rubles and also in just one night! The client lost the entire amount, making deposits of 100 thousand.
– It is believed that casino employees may collude with players. What schemes do online casinos have for this?
— There is no point in colluding with casino players, because it is impossible to twist slot machines, and it will not be possible to enroll no-deposit funds, since the security service monitors this.
There was a case of fraud on the part of one provider. We were connected to his games directly and the company’s employees, having access to statistical data, knew when a particular slot should give a large amount, and regularly won. They did everything correctly, they deduced 10-15 thousand rubles each. This scheme was discovered in our casino, and the software was disabled. I will not name the company and the vending machines.
Useful “5 minutes is enough for a player to collude with a croupier”. Interview with a former dealer of a land-based casino in Russia. Part 2Portal Casino.ru he continues a regular column dedicated to professionals from the world of gambling. The interview with the former dealer, which was published earlier, had a wide resonance. The editorial office received a lot of questions from readers who would like to learn more about the work of the croupier. The ex-employee of the land-based casino continues…Read more
— And who most often violates the rules of the casino and how?
– No one usually breaks the rules intentionally. They are simply not read by anyone. Players are not serious about filling out the questionnaire, they enter fictitious data, and after providing scans of documents, there are difficulties with verification. We asked such players for a full package of documents: a passport, a bank card and a selfie with them in their hands, a utility bill with an address. If all the documents were for one person, they made changes to the questionnaire and did not block the account.
— Now there is more and more talk about replacing the support service specialists of any company with bots and artificial intelligence. How does this apply to the gambling industry?
– Bots and AI can definitely replace answers to template questions, but online support with real people will still remain. For example, in the casino where I worked, there was a cashback that was credited automatically at 00: 05. One day at ten in the evening, a client writes to me and asks me to credit this bonus. He lost about 10,000 rubles a day, and even more than two hours before the accrual of the thousand he was supposed to have. In such a situation, the support can enter the position and activate the funds a little earlier, if it is a regular customer of the casino. And the bot is unlikely to be able to understand the player, compare all the data and make the right decision.
– Describe a couple more situations for understanding the internal kitchen.
– For example, a player asks for a bonus. I watch his casino profit for a month and for the last day, and if the client brought at least 10,000 rubles, I can credit him with cashback. If, on the contrary, the player has won, withdrawn funds and at the same time requests encouragement, he can be offered a deposit bonus.
Or the player reports that he did not count a winning combination on the machine, which in principle can not be. We pass the information to the developer, take the history of the game and use the example of the history to explain to the client why he is wrong. Within the company, all this is accompanied by tickets with high importance and subsequent control.
— That is, a technical support employee should also understand automatic machines?
— We were obliged to know the top casino games, their official name and colloquial, to present the content of the bonus rounds. Usually, if a player is looking for a slot, he has already seen it somewhere or heard something about it, so the person describes the bonus game or the main character, and we suggest it. Over time, I learned all the folk names: “Books”, “Strings”, “Strawberries”, “Pyramids”, etc.
— How many applications did you process on average per day?
— 80-100 requests per twelve-hour shift.
— And what schedule did you work on and how many people were in the team?
— For round-the-clock support, there were day and night shifts-from 8: 00 to 20: 00 and from 20:00 to 8: 00, two days off a week. There were 5 people working — 4 junior support staff in shifts and a chief customer support specialist 5 days a week from 8: 00 to 20: 00.
— How much does an employee earn on average with such a schedule?
– About $ 500. This is not taking into account bonuses and bonuses.
— How was your working day built?
– When I came to the shift, I took important information from a colleague, found out what happened during the night, whether there were any technical problems or not. Then I made coffee and sat down on the line.
— What programs were used in the work?
— From the software available on the Internet, only the Jira bug tracker from Atlassian, the LiveChat online service and the TeamViewer remote computer management program. Everything else is the company’s admin panels.
TeamViewer & #8211; a program for working with clients
— Is there a high turnover of personnel in this profession?
— We had practically no turnover, this is not an ordinary call center — important information can leak when an employee is dismissed. The company adhered to the policy that it is better to train your employee than to take a new one from the street.
— But you stumbled upon the vacancy by accident. What can you advise people who want to get a job in the technical support of an online casino?
– Yes, I saw a vacancy on a regular bulletin board on the Internet. If you really want, you can find companies that are engaged in gambling, and send your resume there. You can also register on Linkedin, there you can find a specialist.
— Have there been any dangerous situations in your professional activity?
— No, only employees with online passes could enter the office, plus the company had a cool security service.
— Have there been any cases of personal acquaintance and informal communication with casino customers?
– Not either. Outside the office, employees are forbidden to say where they work and by whom. For all my friends, I worked in an online store.
– Did your family also not know?
– Loved ones knew and treated absolutely calmly.
— What career growth is possible for a technical support employee?
– It depends on the desire of the employee and his efficiency, as in any other company. For example, the director of our office started working as a technical support specialist. You can grow up to the head of technical support or go to the marketing department if the specialist had active sales.
— What is meant by sales?
— Each support has personal promo codes for deposit bonuses, and it has the right to offer them to players, if it is appropriate in the dialogue. At the end of the month, we were awarded bonuses depending on the amount of player deposits for a personal promo. This was monitored by the head of the department.
— What are the duties of the head of technical support?
— Our manager regularly checked the dialogues with customers for rude communication on the part of employees, mistakes in explaining situations, direct sales in the chat. Usually, the head of the department does not sit on the line — only in emergency situations, when customers break up the chat. For example, if the payment system gateway or one of the mirrors under a DDOS attack fell off.
— In your opinion, is the domestic gambling industry close to Western standards? Is the work in foreign casinos different from ours?
— If we talk about a casino with at least a Curacao license, it is no different: all casinos have a similar set of gaming software, payment systems and bonuses. More serious licenses simply expand the opportunities to enter markets in other countries. I do not take script casinos into account, since they are already bending. It seems to me that in three years there will be two or three “Volcanoes” and that’s it. Players have learned to distinguish fake software from the original one. But if I were a gambler, I would only play in a casino with a Maltese license — this regulator really responds to complaints from players.
– Players from different countries probably also differ in their mentality. Have you encountered this in your work?
– Yes, they are different. In European countries, players are more chasing jackpots, in Russia and the CIS-they are looking for earnings. Plus, customers from Europe have a higher income and, accordingly, a long-distance player brings more money to the casino. On the other hand, in my experience, most of the freeloaders and bonus hunters came to us from Poland.
— Could you play at the casino for real money yourself?
— It was forbidden in our company. In the test accounts, we could top up the balance and test a particular slot.
– But do you play gambling?
— No, I’m not a gambling person. Although I can play Live Blackjack 1-2 times a year.
— That is, before working in a casino, you have never encountered gambling?
— Once, when I was about eighteen. By chance, I went to a gaming club with a classmate and “threw in” 10 cents at that rate, and won $ 3! Never again before getting a job at a casino. Now, if I am in a country where land-based casinos are allowed, I will definitely visit.
Online casino gambling
— What is your general attitude to gambling, given your five-year experience in online casinos?
– Positive. It seems to me that all countries should legalize online gambling, provided that account verification and payments are controlled by the state. A lot of rich people play in the casino, let the budgets of their countries be filled. And of course, we need state control over gambling addiction.
– What advice would you give to people who are passionate about gambling?
— There are several tips here at once. After registration, pass verification, play only official slots and remember that having a license does not mean using the original software. It is better to focus on casinos with a Maltese license.
I would advise enthusiastic gamblers to adhere to the rule-not to lose more than 10% of their income per month. After a big win, it is better to stop and withdraw the entire amount. If we are talking about high-rollers, you should find out the withdrawal limits in advance. Before activating bonuses — carefully read the conditions for the wager and bets. And I can also advise you to use the Slottracker software, which collects all the information on slots and gaming sessions: RTP, launch history, general statistics, etc.
The collection of questions is completed. Thank you for your participation! You can read the answers in the interview here.
- “I haven’t felt any pangs of conscience for a very long time.” Interview with a former employee of the online casino call center
- “5 minutes is enough for a player to collude with the dealer.” Interview with a former dealer of a land-based casino in Russia. Part 2
- “There was a grid at the entrance, only their own people were allowed in.” Interview with a former employee of an illegal slot machine hall
- “Usually they cheat drunk customers.” Shock-an interview with a former dealer of a land-based casino in Russia. Part 1
- “Poker is my love for life.” Interview with the director of the Sochi Casino poker Club Artur Voskanyan
- “We like to give players a choice.” Interview with the director of 2By2 Gaming
- “First, customer issues are resolved, then everything else.” Interview with the manager of the RedStar online casino
- “The most important investment in my life is ludomania.” Interview with affiliate and streamer Shamil Slotshunter Ponomarev
- “I’m a very gambling person who can’t stop.” Interview with Elina Kushnirenko, PR Director of the Krasnaya Polyana gambling zone
- “The most important thing is the ability to communicate with people.” Interview with Dmitry Anfinogenov, Director of development of the Krasnaya Polyana gambling zone
- “As a player, I am a fish, as a webmaster, I have more success”. Interview with Strij webmaster
- “We are going to offer exactly what gamblers are waiting for.” Interview with the Head of the Business Development Department at Fugaso
- “I want to make the sphere more transparent by my example.” Interview with the owner of the General Casino
- “Endorphina plans to remain true to its independence”. Interview with the head of the marketing department of the Czech studio
- “If the croupier is at the table, it means that he is a professional”. Interview with a dealer from the Sochi Casino